Never Never Land

Never Never Land

Monday, October 18, 2010

Air Transportation

10/18/2010

Riding in a plane next to a beautiful woman is a great way to pass the time, especially if she is capable of stimulating conversation.  This was going to be to my benefit only.  I looked across the aisle over at Ben with his jaw gaping, he rolled his eyes as an older couple took their seats next to him.  We got off the plane and went through the customs stand, we agreed to put down 27 days as our stay in Mexico. We gathered our bags, Ben's bag was much smaller than mine..he of course didn't have a huge camera in a Pelican case, or Slackline gear.  After going through the scanner you press a red button and it randomly selects that your bag is searched by a customs associate.  Thankfully Ben had his bag searched and I was cleared I just know they would have taken out the Pelican and the slacklines and have been confused and I wasn't excited for that.  We walked through some sliding doors and decided to exchange some money to Pesos the exchange was $1.00USD to $10.2Pesos I exchanged $170.00 USD and received 1730 Pesos FYI the best exchange will be in the US we passed on a stand in the Houston airport because we didn't know what would be better.  Live and learn right.  We had met a couple, Skylar and Whitney in the Houston Airport and mentioned splitting a taxi into Cancun, we looked all over for them and found them in the exact taxi we had negotiated to take us into town for 10.00USD.  We crammed into the bus and went for a ride it quickly started to pour rain like you wouldn't believe.  We were the last in and assumed the last stop. We intended to find the hostel and hope it wasn't full and was truly cheap.  The stop just before ours was at the Tanaka Hotel in Cancun the couple getting out said it was 380 pesos per night.  I ran in to check if he a had a room with 2 beds and it was a done deal.  We found ourselves on the second floor with a broken AC unit and hungry.  We stashed our things and grabbed some cash to find dinner.  Some buildings have very poor curb appeal and others seem to have a owner with deep pockets.  I wonder if this would change in 50-100 years?  We came around the corner and stopped at a restaurant with few guests.  The menu was entirely Spanish and I was lost... being a picky eater is one thing but when you can speak the language or read the menu its scary.  Ben recognized chorizo on the menu and ordered some tacos, I tried to order like I would at Taco King in Anchorage, Alaska I was prompted to order something else almost as if she knew what I explained and was to say "oh you really want this".  Out comes the food, Ben's tacos and my mystery meat and red soup with mystery meat.  Ben identifies it as pork chops and says "watch out for the bones" I try the soup first its alright, only one flavor and I'm intrigued. I try the pork chops and grab some lemonade in the process.  The meat has a strange texture and I'm quickly loosing my appetite.  We finish our meal and after 2 attempts to get our check we succeed pay and walk back toward the Tanaka Hotel. At a convenience store I grab a Snickers bar for 9 pesos and Ben gets 3 bottles of water for 20 pesos.  Once back to the room we quickly pass out as this has been a long day considering neither of us slept in the past 24 hours.

1 comment: